Looking back, moving forward


2014 was a jam-packed, fast-paced year, filled with many challenges and opportunities, many of which I could have never predicted. As in previous years (201120122013), here is my annual recap of how my year unfolded.
  • I started January by releasing my hand-lettered lessons in the form of colourful, downloadable wallpapers. I also launched my 12 Months of Type project, where I set out to get messy and make lots and lots of letters each month with different mediums. You can check out the full progress of the project here.
  • At the beginning of February, I launched my year-long lino printing project, Two-word truths. All twelve prints are now completed and available for purchase in my shop – check them out here! Also, due to popular demand, I released my Toy block alphabet print, based on a typographic experiment from my Instagram feed. I closed the month by dabbling in some sign painting.
  • On May 11, I completed the Sporting Life 10K in just over 56 minutes (a personal best!) and raised over $1000 to help kids with cancer go to camp. And at the end of May, I went to New York for the first time – you can see my complete adventure on my travel blog, NYChristopher.
  • For the August long weekend, I attended the centennial celebration of my hometown in Ponteix, Saskatchewan – check out some photos here. I also did a custom chalkboard commission for two new homeowners. With Ligatures, we hosted our biggest event of the year: a double screening of "Sign Painters: The Movie." So much fun!
  • September was a busy month for client work, but I continued with 12 Months of Type and Two-word Truths.
  • The most exciting part of October was the unveiling of my Honest Ed's interview for Uppercase Magazine. It was such an honour to profile Mr. Wayne Reuben and to work with photographer Becca Gilgan.
  • And all of a sudden, it was December! For the second year in a row, I was selected as a vendor for Toronto's favourite winter market, City of Craft, which ran December 12-14 at The Theatre Centre. This year's event was exceptionally fun – you can see a full recap here.
I have several more projects which were completed in 2014 but I can't reveal them until later this year. Please stay tuned to my blog and Instagram for the exciting updates.

This year wouldn't have been possible without the unending support from family, friends, clients & patrons. Thanks to everyone who purchased holiday cards (now sold out!), donated to my 10K run, commented on my Instagram photos, attended a Ligatures event, or visited my booth at City of Craft. Your generosity & kindness inspires me. I am truly blessed to be able follow my passion and do work I love each day.

I wish you all a safe, happy & healthy 2015.

CR