12 in 13 for 14

I love letters and numbers. Probably more than most people.
And I also love year-long blog projects – something fun and engaging to work on throughout the year.

In 2010, I set out to research all 26 letters of the English alphabet (origins, history, and interesting anecdotes) with 26 in 52.

In 2011, I decided to do the same for numbers, investigating the numbers one through twelve (background, symbolism, and fun facts) with 12 over 12.

In 2012, I started the Alphabet 100 project. The goal: to choose one letter of the alphabet each week, and illustrate it 100 different ways. After the gratification of completing all 5200 (!) sketches, and compiling the 52 final illustrations into one print, I decided to formulate a new project with a similar structure for 2013.

This year, I'd like to introduce 12 in 13 for 14. The plan: to hand-letter the 12 month headers over the course of 2013 for a calendar to be released in early 2014. This project grew out of my growing passion for hand-lettering and sign-painting, as well as a love for documenting the creative process from beginning to end.

At the start of each month, I will post 12 lettering options, and you (yes YOU!) will get the opportunity to weigh in and vote for your favourite.

And then in December, I will compile all the top choices into a super duper 2014 calendar that will be available for purchase in my shop. You will see lettering sketches like these:

Turn into a calendar that looks something like this:

(*Headers for placement only – still subject to voting.)

I haven't decided if I will use a font for the numerals or hand-letter each month. Also, I don't know exactly the final size, paper stock, binding method, or printing technique, but it will hopefully look something like the mockup above.

Well, what are you waiting for? January and February are both posted and ready for your votes! Please check back every month, subscribe to the RSS feed, or follow me on Twitter for reminders.

Happy 2013!